Chicken Fajitas Bake is a super delicious and EASY Mexican recipe! Full of all your favorite classic fajitas flavors, but in a tasty casserole. Yum. Make in one pan from stovetop to oven.
This keto chicken casserole is the perfect low carb meal for the whole family. A cast-iron skillet meal makes weeknight dinners so much easier.
Chicken Fajitas Bake | Seeking Good Eats
🎥 Recipe Video
What People Are Saying
I can't tell you how wonderful it is to get such fantastic positive feedback from everyone. Here's what people are saying about this chicken fajita bake! 🙂
- “This is an amazing dinner!! Will even be a hit with non-keto conscious people” – Shannon, Pinterest
- “This was really good! Great family meal and good reheated 🙂 “ – Cheyanne, Pinterest
- “Made this tonight! Holy cow – so dang good!” – Michacline, Instagram
- “OMG. The fam went nuts! Totally loved this recipe. Thank you!!!” – Linda, Facebook
You'll ❤️ Baked Chicken Fajitas Casserole
Classic Fajitas But in a Creamy Cheesy Casserole
Classic stovetop fajitas turned into a delicious casserole that your whole family will love. Delicious sour cream and cheese are blended with taco seasoning, sauteed chicken and veggies for the perfect dinner. This recipe is an almost weekly occurrence in our household! LOL
Easy to Make
This is a perfect weeknight meal to make (weekends are good too! LOL). I think it's total comfort food. Comfort food is great during a crazy weeknight don't you think? 🙂
I know after a long day of working I want something simple, satisfying and EASY to make – this fajita bake fits the bill!
One Pan Skillet Meal From Stovetop to Oven
While you can use any oven proof skillet, I love to use my cast iron skillet for this recipe. The more seasoned a cast iron skillet is the more flavoring it imparts!
By sauteing the chicken and peppers with the taco seasoning before baking you create a ton of flavor from the browning, carmelizing and blending of all the flavors.
Mix in the remaining ingredients and then pop in the oven just until the cheese is bubbly.
Keto Chicken Fajitas
With healthy fats and low carb vegetables, keto chicken fajitas bake is a great option if you follow a ketogenic diet.
If needed, you can increase healthy fat content by adding avocado or cooking in additional olive oil. You can also substitute chicken thighs for chicken breasts.
The great thing about this recipe is that it is completely flexible to your day's dietary requirements. If you are over on your protein for the day you can reduce the amount of chicken in your serving, if you are over on your carb requirements, you can use less onion.
28 g fat | 7.6 g net carbs | 33 g protein
Ingredients and Tools
Here are the tools and ingredients you will need to make Chicken Fajita Bake. It is pretty straightforward. Nothing too complicated!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts, 1″ to 2″ pieces
- 4 bell peppers, sliced (vary the colors to make it pretty! I used green, yellow, red, and orange)
- small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 taco seasoning packet, fajita seasoning is fine too
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- optional: sour cream, avocado slices or guacamole, cilantro, and salsa. Don't forget hot sauce for the spicy lovers! 🙂
- 12″ cast iron skillet, or you can use individual sized cast iron skillets like I did in the photos – my kids love it for some reason! 🙂
- chef's knife
- cutting board
- measuring spoons
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In an oven proof skillet, over medium heat, saute the chicken in olive oil until the chicken is done. Remove from skillet and set aside. (see image #1)
- Add onions and peppers and saute until tender, (approximately 3 to 5 minutes depending upon your preference). (see image #2)
- Add chicken back to the pan and stir in the taco seasoning, sour cream, and cream cheese. Mix well. (see image #3)
- Sprinkle the top with cheese and bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. (see image #4)
Tip: the safe cooking temperature of chicken is 165º
Serve and enjoy! Really good topped with avocado, guacamole, sour cream, or salsa. Yum
- Use boneless chicken thighs or breasts that have been cut into uniform sizes (approx 1″ to 2″ in size, or you can do 1.2″ strips if you prefer)
- Onions cook slower than peppers so I often add them a few minutes before I add the peppers. This is strictly personal preference of course.
- You can cook the onions and peppers to your desired tenderness. Some people love them crisp-tender, some love them completely soft.
- Cook the chicken to 165º – the safe internal cooking temperature.
- Since most of the recipe is cooked, you only need to bake the casserole to get the cheese bubbly and heat the inside. No more no less. 🙂 Technically you don't even have to bake this casserole, but you won't have that nice ooey gooey melted cheese on top! There is just something about baking all the ingredients together – all the flavors blend together and make a whole casserole of tasty goodness. LOL
- If you don't have an oven proof skillet just cook chicken, peppers, and onion according to the recipe. Stir in the cream cheese and sour cream. Put the mixture into a casserole dish then top with cheese and bake.
How To Serve
There are a lot of options on what to serve with chicken fajitas but overall, I like to round out the meal with a simple salad of shredded iceberg lettuce, diced tomato, and green onion.
Instead of using a typical salad dressing I just top the salad with a dollop of sour cream and salsa and toss it together, making an easy tasty salad dressing.
What Temperature Should Chicken Be Cooked To?
The USDA recommends that chicken should be cooked to 165º degrees. I always check the temperature of my chicken with an instant read thermometer. Here is a link to their Safe Minimum Internal Temperature Chart.
What Toppings Go On Chicken Fajitas?
Typically people top their fajitas with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, salsa or taco sauce, and avocado slices or guacamole. Of course, this is all a personal preference!
I also love to top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, and green onion too! Because this recipe is in a casserole form and the cheese has been mixed in, you probably don't need to top with more cheese, but if you're a cheese lover go ahead.
Are Chicken Fajitas Healthy For You?
Chicken fajitas are very healthy, yes. With plenty of nutrients, healthy fat, protein, and fiber you will feel satisfied long after your meal is over.
Amazingly, each serving of this chicken fajita bake has over 100% of your day's vitamin C, 35% Vitamin A, 30% zinc, 23% calcium, and is loaded with Vitamin B's! 48% Vitamin B12, 45% Vitamin B6, 44% Vitamin B3, 41% Riboflavin B2.
Where are all these vitamins coming from? Well, of course the fats are coming from the chicken, olive oil, cheese, and sour cream. The calcium is mainly coming from the cheese and sour cream, but the bulk of the remaining B's, Vitamin A , and Zinc, are coming from the bell peppers.
Did you know that the longer a pepper remains on the vine before picking, the more nutrients it contains? Yep. I grow a lot of peppers in my garden and I've often let them sit on the vine. Peppers first ripen to green (this is when they are most commonly picked), then they turn yellow, orange, and then red. Out of curiosity I did some research and found that a red bell is the most nutrient-packed of all the bell peppers. 🙂
Can I Freeze Fajita Chicken Fajita Bake?
Yes, definitely! That's one of the best things about this casserole. You can portion out meals, freeze in airtight containers for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
Chicken Fajita Bake makes amazing leftovers for lunch!! So much flavor and a great change-up from soup and sandwiches.
How Do You Cut Chicken Breast for Chicken Fajitas?
For traditional fajitas, cut chicken breast into thin 1/2″ strips sliced horizontally, cutting against the grain. This recipe calls for smaller bite size pieces, but you can really cut them to the size that you prefer most.
Keep in mind that the smaller the pieces the quicker they will cook so you may need to shorten your cooking time as recommended by the recipe instructions.
Do I Have To Use A Cast Iron Skillet?
No, you do not have to use a cast iron skillet. Any ovenproof skillet will work. If you don't have an oven-proof skillet no problem! You can simply mix in the cheeses in your pan and place in a casserole dish.
Chicken Fajitas Bake (Low Carb and Keto)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs, or breasts cut into 1" to 2" pieces
- 4 bell peppers, sliced (vary the colors to make it pretty!)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 oz of cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- optional: garnish with avocado or guacamole, sour cream, salsa. For spicy lovers add heat with hot sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Over medium heat, saute the chicken in olive oil until chicken is done. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add onions and peppers and saute until tender.
- Add chicken back to pan and stir in taco seasoning, sour cream, and cream cheese. Mix well.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake in oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
Serve and enjoy! This is really good topped with avocado, guacamole, sour cream, or salsa. Yum.
Nutrition Information:YIELD: 8 SERVING SIZE: 1 cup (chicken, peppers, onions, cheese, etc)
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 395TOTAL FAT: 28gSATURATED FAT: 13gTRANS FAT: 1gUNSATURATED FAT: 12gCHOLESTEROL: 162mgSODIUM: 439mgCARBOHYDRATES: 9.4gNET CARBOHYDRATES: 7.6gFIBER: 1.8gSUGAR: 4gPROTEIN: 29g
Want To Try The Keto Diet?
If you want a new custom meal plan you can access it here. Custom Keto Diet Plan is a personalized keto diet plan that customizes the keto diet just for you, based on your goals, tastes, body type and lifestyle.